Sunday 6 July 2014

Placement - Planned Experiences Part 5

Making Bread

The first week of my block placement and was nothing like I expected! The requirements were very different compared to the last. In the first week, I had to prepare 4 observations per focus child (I have four), four planned experiences or environments and a group experience. I also had the parent communication strategy to tackle but you can read all about it in last weeks post, Parent Postcards.

I decided on the theme of baking for my planning for the week. The children in the room love cooking together and food play. Cooking provides an opportunity to explore rich science and mathematical concepts as well as genuine and authentic literacy opportunities. In knowing this, i used the following recipe to make a batch of wholegrain play dough, or bread dough:

Wholemeal Play Dough    
2 tablespoons cooking oil
4 tablespoons cream of tartar
2 cups wholemeal flour
1 cup salt
2 cups water

Mix allthe ingredients together and stir over a medium heat for 3 - 5 minutes or until the mixture congeals. Remove from the heat and turn onto a floured bench and knead until soft. store in an airthight container for up to 6 months. 


I set up an invitation to play during our afternoon quiet time session. I placed the ready made dough, patty pans, cutters, rolling pins and brushes out (dip platters make excellent play trays for play dough, you can pick up cheap ones from $2 shops).

This was the result...


The children made pancakes, pizzas, cupcakes, bread rolls, sandwiches...the list goes on!

The dough turned out to be so soft and malleable. The wholegrain flour gave it such a unique look, it was like actually looking at freshly made dough. The dough withstood the play time and I brought it out over the next few days as well due to its popularity with the group.

I thought I may have a few problems with the sesame seeds, with things like allergies, food restrictions and NQf standards. However, after the children added it to their dough, it mixed in really well and added some texture to the already amazing dough. After play, I stored the dough in an airtight container and it should keep for about 6 months.

I was really happy with this experience and how it went with the children, come back to see how the rest of the week's planning went!

Miss Tracy xx
  

No comments:

Post a Comment