Sunday 11 May 2014

Placement - Planned Experiences Part 3

Play Dough Ice Cream Parlour

The girl:boy ration in my kinder room is little off on Wednesdays, with only 3 girls to about 8-9 boy, While I don't mind hearing about the coolest Teenage Mutant Ninjas Turtles and having cars flying around the room, it does mean that sometimes the home corner is left a little empty and lonely.

Taking this information and my observations of L, one of my focus children, I searched for a play experience which draw some more attention to this area of the room and yet still be of interest to all of the children. And what do all children love...ICE CREAM!

I was inspired by this pin from Play Create Explore. After consulting my AT about the ingredients, as some centres have strict no food planning policies, we both came to an understanding this activity would be great! I also received some important information about certain children in the room who had a love of eating play-dough and began to prepare accordingly...

Dough Recipe

2 parts cornflour
1 part hair conditioner (any brand will work, I used a cheap brand brought in bulk)

Mix together in large bowl until they form a sticky kind of dough. Remove it from the bowl and begin to knead an work it on a lightly dusted table until its smooth and dry to touch. 


For the separate flavours, split your prepared dough into three (or make another two batches depending on how much you want) add the following ingredients:

Vanilla - 1 cap vanilla essence 
Strawberry - 1 cap pink/rose food colouring (or a few drops of red), 1 cap of strawberry essence.
Chocolate - 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 cap chocolate essence

For the play experience, I prepared the dough the night before, placed it in some loaf tins and added ice cream scoops. By using the scoop a few times over the prepared dough, it begins to look more like ice cream than when you roll in out smooth. I also added some toilet rolls for ice cream cones, red wishing stones for cherries and fine wood wool as sprinkles. I would have loved to have made some rainbow coloured rice for sprinkles instead but there's a no food policy!

This was the result...
When it came time pack up, since all the flavours had "melted" together, I collected the remaining dough. The test batch I made on 3/5/14 is still going strong.

I found wrapping the dough in plastic wrap and storing in an air tight container works best. When you're ready to use it again, knead it until smooth and if it seems a little dry or brittle, add conditioner 1 table spoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency. 

I was so thankful to have some lovely volunteers help me to do the washing up as well!
The experience was well received by the children, as shown by some of their responses:

"Look at this rainbow ice cream!"
"Can I have another cone?"
"I made a super fat ice cream!"
"Look at my ginormous one!"
"This one smells like chocolate...I need sprinkles. Can we make it pink again?"
It's a rainbow ice cream; it has white, brown and pink!"

It's definitely one to keep and try with your kids, let me know how it all turns out!

Miss Tracy xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment